Saturday, April 16, 2011

Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)


Something serious today. As mentioned in earlier post, I went for this mental health first aid (MHFA) training in Monash. There are only 17 people in my group, with quite a number of international students. Most of them are psychology or business students. This actually amazed me. There are many people, other than science students, who care about this issue.

My reason for joining this training is confidential. What I could say is, I hope I can help people when they are depressed. At least listen to them and will not say anything that will make them have negative thoughts. Somehow, I think I know how people with depression will feel and act now. We, as a mentally healthy person, should never leave them aside. You will never know what they will do next.

Of course, this training is not just about depression. They talked about anxiety, substance use disorder, psychosis and how to act when you know people have suicidal/self-injury thoughts. I did feel sad when hearing those, especially come to suicide. It's about life and we should really try to prevent any harm from happening.

The whole course is quite simple to understand and I think this should be promoted to the society. Monash is just doing this to help the university community. Society should at least have an idea about mental illnesses and try to help those people.

People with mental illnesses are not alien. They are not weak as well. They need help like normal people do when we are sick.

No comments:

Playlist