Wednesday, September 10, 2014

PRP Life: My TDM Journal (Part 1)

Therapeutic Drug Monitoring (TDM) is a part of pharmacy service in hospital, which many people aren't aware of. TDM provides service to measure the medication concentrations in blood, mainly focus on drugs with narrow therapeutic index (which means the drugs can be easily under- or overdosed; and may have serious adverse effects if the level is out of range). Hence, TDM is important to help the healthcare team to individually adjust the dose according to patient's latest condition. 

Being a provisionally registered pharmacist (PRP), I have the chance to attach to TDM department in my hospital for a month. I was quite happy to attach to this department as it is something different. We need to deal with machines, blood samples, calculations, etc...... Unlike outpatient and inpatient department, we did not directly supply medication to the patients. TDM department provide results of current drug concentration in the blood and provide recommendation to the healthcare team. Doctors will then decide to follow our recommendation or not, to provide the ultimate care to the patients. 

Sounds interesting isn't it? But let me share with you my first 3 days of attachment in TDM. Most happening rotation ever! 
**************************************************************************

TDM Day 1 (Monday):
My first day in the new department and I felt a little stressed up. I've deal with patients in Outpatient Department (OPD) for a month and now I'm in the room, full with machines. Machines aren't my kind of thing because I'm literally a technology noob. Oh well, I'm glad that I have an awesome friend entering this department together. With her around, I feel calmer. 

So the first day was HECTIC. I'm new and yet there are many samples flooding in. Oh no, why during my first day?! Well, I have to run samples from antibiotics, anti-epileptics, to immunosuppressants (which normally run every Tuesdays).

We were so busy until we have to skip lunch to finish our work. And yet, we still finish our work late, around 6.30pm. What a day. But I'm grateful that I've given the chance to learn so many things in a day. Challenging. =)

Serum Serum! My buddy for a month!


TDM Day 2 (Tuesday):
Second day in TDM and I was quite tense since 7.30am. First day experience was quite a shock to me and hence I was hoping that Day 2 will be less hectic. BUT, our TDM boss took off. Hence, left 2 of us and we'll need to find other senior pharmacists to consult when we have problems. 

Things went quite smoothly in the morning. We centrifuged blood samples, send them into the machine, record result, etc etc.... *phewwwww......* We still manage to go for lunch, which was quite a great relief.

After lunch time, we had a surprise waiting for us! @_@ There's a serum sample from other hospital, which looks like urine. It was kept in a urine sample tube and there's a ball of unknown bugs in it. Fungi? Bugs? We had no idea what is it and it looks really disgusting. *just feel like vomiting* We called that hospital and confirmed with the pharmacist what is in the tube. They insisted that they sent us serum sample in urine tube. But well, with that disgusting bugs, we can't run that sample anyway. Grrrrrr....... 在TDM的日子,真的是度日如年。

P/S: That ball of bugs grew bigger at the end of the day. I really wonder what was that. Disgusting bugs. Tsk tsk....





TDM Day 3 (Wednesday):
DAY 3! Praying hard that it will be a good day. =) BUT NO! The first thing I found out when I open the TDM room door was, our machine showed error message. NOOOOOOOO~~~~

It seems like that temperature of the machine was out of control and we tried to let it cool down, called the engineer, tried to fix, etc etc... BUT NOTHING WORKS. Baby machine is still out of service. We had to wait wait wait and samples were accumulating. T__T

Our TDM boss tried very hard to fix it by calling the engineer but it didn't work well. Engineer did not want to come over to help us. That was really pissing us off. Around noon, the engineer finally agreed to come over from Penang and guess what, he came at 5pm! Bro, we have to prolong our working hour for your laziness. WHY DON'T YOU COME WHEN WE CALLED FOR HELP IN THE MORNING?? *pissed off with the engineer*

He tried to fix the machine and from his expression, I was nervous too. He didn't seem confident after one hour of fixing. NO!!! My friend and I went dinner until 7pm and the first thing we heard when we reached the room was -- "p*k*i". Crap! No hope for the day. 

We waited till 8pm and the engineer gave up. He said he will come back to fix the next day or 2 days later. We can't do anything but to go home. Machine OH Machine. 

************************************************************************
What happened next? 

Let me tell you, it is an epic story. It will need a long post to describe the whole story. So stay tuned! 

No comments:

Playlist