Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Liver cancer - how could you?!

Saw a patient in the ward, newly diagnosed with hepatoma (liver cancer). Deep in my heart, I was crying. I talked to him when he just came into the ward, he is cheerful but thin. He reminded me about my grandpa - who also seem very cheerful before he was diagnosed. This uncle is as unlucky as my grandpa as his management plan for his cancer is just palliative care. This is so common for hepatoma patient --> once diagnosed, mostly of end stage already. 

I saw him twice in the ward before I took off for a long weekend. Right after my holiday, I visited him again. This time, he seems thinner. He complaint about loss of appetite and his stomach felt uncomfortable. That moment, he has no idea about his cancer. And I, tried to hold back my tears. Grandpa complaint that before too. I remember how grandpa's tummy got so swollen and upset at the end of his days. It was painful for grandpa, and for us. Looking at this uncle's family members, I can see myself in it. They are trying to act cheerful and tried to hide their sadness. 

I hope uncle can live with this condition for a longer time with less suffering, to spend more quality time with his family. He is really nice and I did had a good chat with him. I'll pray for you, uncle. 

Grandpa, you've left us for more than 3 years. We miss you so much.
 Liver cancer. 3 months prognosis. That was short. I remember how hard it was to watch you leave. I remember it was me who asked you to go hospital for some morphine when you're suffering -- and that after your condition deteriorated badly. T_T I do hope you won't blame me. I just want you to have less pain. Hope you are doing well in another world. Miss you xx

No comments:

Playlist